I think I would say that the moment my life took a turn was during my accident and my recovery. It may sound slightly cliche to pick an accident.
I was 20 years old when my boyfriend at the time hit me with his car (a total accident) and I fell and broke my leg. We went to hospital where the doctor told me all was fine and sent me home with pain meds. The next day it felt weird and returned to hospital. After examination and x-rays I was told my leg was broken.
What followed was nearly two weeks in hospital. A skin graft on my foot and three operations in total.
I had to keep my leg elevated due to the graft and was in a wheelchair for 6 weeks. I was on crutches for almost 9 months while I recovered.
What did I learn during this period?
- That my parents loved me. I understood this for the first time
- That my parents were people with their own lives and problems and I needed to grow up
- That my boyfriend was not right for me (anyone who wasn't supportive of their girlfriend and who went out on the town at night to meet other girls was so not right!)
- I deserved a loving caring man in my life
- True friends will stand by you no matter what
- Life is short, live it
- I realised I wanted to go overseas and travel
- I needed to complete my studies to get somewhere!